Aeterna Noctis is a challenging 2D Metroidvania with intense combats and skill-based platform sections, currently under development by spanish team Aeternum Game Studios. The game was officially announced in October 31, 2020 at PlayStation Talents: The Moment having a good reception from game press and players all over the world.
Taking the role of King of Darkness, the player will explore a huge world divided into 16 different and connected areas filled of secrets and enemies to deal with. The core of the gameplay element is its skill-based combat mechanics and platform sections. Aeterna Noctis feels like a challenging but fair game that rewards the player. Its fast-paced combat is assisted by a clever level design based on multiple corridors and platform sections.
Soon after the official announced of Aeterna Noctis, the developers released an extended gameplay of more than 15 minutes long to show the next features:
- Exciting combats
- New platforming mechanics
- Levelling system
- Challenging final boss fight
This extended gameplay takes place in the Ascension Cave, one of the 16 areas of the game, each one with its own setting, atmosphere and level design.
Running on the Unity Engine, the game is planned to be release in 2021 for PlayStation and Xbox systems, Nintendo Switch and PC, and will be available in seven different languages: Spanish, English, French, German, Chinese, Japanese and Russian.
Areas, characters and enemies
Chaos, supreme god, creator of the Universe and all its inhabits, decided at one point in his creation to make the world of 'Aeterna'. He populated it with different races and appointed wise rulers to show the way. Before long, these beings turned against their creator, grouping into two large groups and giving rise to war, death and hatred. This angered Chaos who, in his infinite immortality, took it as an insult to his magnificence and cast a terrible curse on the kings of both factions. He named them King of Darkness and Queen of Light and condemned them to fight each other until the end of days. Cursed, even death could not free them from their destiny since, even if they defeated their opponent, Chaos granted them the gift of immortality and they were reborn again to regain their power and continue their eternal war.
According to the information shared by the developers on their Social Media, the previous Aeterna Noctis campaign on Kickstarter and the gameplay shown, these are the main narrative, artistic and playable features of the game:
- Challenging difficulty: Aeterna Noctis is a game with a challenging but fair difficulty from the first level, which increases progressively as the player gets more experienced with the controls and unlocks new skills. The gameplay is always keeping you alert but making you feel proud after each challenge is completed.
- Fluid gameplay mechanics: The game has been designed and polished until achieving a system that responds to 100% of the actions regardless of the speed and conditions in which they are executed, giving the player a feeling of satisfaction and total control on the character in any situation.
- High mobility: Level design is clever and allows to exploit the movement controls of the character, opening multiple ways to overcome each challenge and allowing skilled players to improve their zone completion times.
- Freedom of choice: Aeterna Noctis has a non-linear map divided in 16 different and connected areas in a classic Metroidvania way. Although the main story has a defined path, developers want the players to set their own pace and being able to travel this huge world in multiple different ways.
- Traditional 2D Art: The Art Department of Aeterna Noctis has designed frame by frame through traditional illustration techniques, each and every one of the animations, assets and environmental details of the game, giving life to beautiful and fluid movements with absolute passion and dedication.
- A beautiful and deep story: Aeterna Noctis gameplay is built around an original, deep and emotional story with epic moments and unexpected twists that will captivate even the most experienced players.
According to the info confirmed by the studio, the OST of Aeterna Noctis will have more than 46 unique themes. For now, Aeternum Game Studios has only released one track by the name of The Infinite Sea. This song shares name with an unknown area of the game yet to be released and is available on their official Youtube channel, but the studio has promised that more new songs will be public very soon.The development team has also affirmed that the OST will be released on a special format with piano covers of their main themes. A track from this Piano Collection was shared on a video with a loop animation of the King of Darkness playing the piano with a mysterious woman. The cover is a piano version of The Infinite Sea with some extra arrangements.